Sunday, August 15, 2021

All the Young D'Oods

 
Let me explain.

My friend Sandra Franklin is obsessed with Oods. She loves them. So the following sketches were made for her a few years ago. I still need to properly finish them, but I also kind of like them just as sketches. 
   
For those unfamiliar with these tentacled Doctor Who aliens, here's a handy primer.  

   


   
I had shared this sketchbook drawing of a dapper Ood painter  a few years back on my Pre-Raphernalia blog. (Yes, I apologize, I haven't gotten back to Pre-Raphernalia for  awhile, either.)

And yes, that is a Judoon wearing a cravat in in the painting on the floor.

Proserpine
(the red-haired version)
Dante Gabriel Rossetti
   
   








Because we're both fans of the Pre-Raphaelite painters, here we have a Pre-Raphaelite Brother Ood. (Get it?)

He is working on a version of 
Dante Gabriel Rossetti's famous painting of Proserpine holding a pomegranate. Here, the 10th Doctor holds an Adipose. (Well, it's roundish and about the same size as a pomegranate.)
            
   
    


Since my friend Sandra and I are also Edgar Allan Poe fans as well (I've been known to draw few Poe cartoons here and there…) it was inevitable that I would be drawing an Edgar Allan Ood.
 
The "bust of Pallas" from the poem "The Raven" is a Time Lady, of course. And  there aren't one but two "Tell-Tale Hearts."

The  puns would continue...

    
   

Sandra also got a chance to show former Doctor Who showrunner Russell T. Davies the Edgar Allan Ood drawing. 

He sees the Ood. 

He has seen the Ood. 



    The idea for this particular goofiness came about when Sandra and I were talking about how the 12th Doctor needed a band. The idea here was for it to resemble a Robert Palmer video, except with Oods. (And yes, I did try to work in a drummer, but found I sadly didn't have room.)


    Below, is the inked and painted version of this illustration.  



I can't promise this will be the end of the puns, or the Oods, but we shall see!


Coming up next: 
Some Venusian Aikido. Hai!












   

No comments:

Post a Comment