Wednesday, February 24, 2016

Song for the Butterfly-Jellies


I painted my sketch of the Second Doctor. Patrick Troughton plays one of my favorite Doctors, and I adore him and wish more of his lost episodes could be found!

This was originally a sketchbook drawing. The reason behind this one is because of several sources mentioning that Patrick Troughton loved butterflies. He mentions them in an old PBS interview , and even the Second Doctor (right after his regeneration from William Hartnell, when his companions don't believe he's still the Doctor) says, "I'd like to see a butterfly fit into a chrysalis case after it spreads its wings." In his biography of his father, Michael Troughton writes that his father had used to collect them as a boy and, as an adult, used to call out the names of different species of butterflies when he saw them in the garden.

My idea here was for the Doctor to play a song on his trusty recorder for some weird alien jellyfish-butterflies, who probably appreciate his music more than his TARDIS companions ever did.

The picture is done in my usual way: acrylic gouache and ink, with Photoshop touch-ups.

No comments:

Post a Comment